Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Thankful to be Giving







'Tis the season to be giving. On one level, I find the whole gift decision making and buying process very stressful. Despite my love for couponing, I really don't like to shop. But thanks to couponing, I have been able to give generously to several organizations this year--without the stress and expense.

I haven't been posting regularly about the best Couponing for Charity deals, but like Southern Saver's mascot, I've been a squirrel gathering nuts for months. Three tubes of toothpaste here, one cent crayons there and before I knew it, I had a nice stockpile from which to shop.

Through the Church of the Good Samaritan or MOMS Club, lists of needs were posted and then I pulled what I had on hand. I post these pictures not as a way to say, "Look what I gave" but as an inspiration for what you can give too in the future. It's when we all give a little that we can make a tremendous impact on our community. All of these goods cost me $.25 or less plus the cost of tax and will go to some great organizations.

The pictures at the top are from the church's annual Stuff a Stocking campaign for senior citizens. The whole family got involved in stuffing stockings from the many generous donations from parishioners. We were able to give 48 razors plus several other goodies like tea and hot cocoa.

Another collection through our church was the Shoebox Ministry for the Volunteer Ministry Center. Imagine not having a home and having to keep all of your and your kids' toys or necessities in a shoebox. For them, we had crayons, deodorant, pens, toothpaste, and toothbrushes.

The Hope Buckets were collected to give to patients battling HIV/Aids. Some clients of Hope Center face the additional challenge of being rejected by friends and family and often have no one to care for them physically, emotionally, spiritually or financially. From soap to tissues, toothpaste to lipbalm, I was able to meet their specific requests easily.

Finally Operation Christmas Child was the service project adopted by our MOMS Club. These boxes will be given to children in need all over the world. Each member of our play group came up with creative additions to the box for a girl 2-4 years old. I was able to give pens, crayons, markers, and notebooks I'd gotten for pennies back in August.

And the list doesn't end there. From diapers I'm giving to support a young mom in our church to baked goods I've donated for mission trips, couponing has allowed me to buy what I need for much less. Suddenly all the requests to give are not overwhelming and I am thankful that I'm able to spread "good coupon karma." Happy Holidays!

I'd love to hear what you've been able to give with the help of coupons. Please leave a comment.




No comments:

Post a Comment