Monday, October 12, 2009

Super Savings

For those of you wondering if I'll ever get off this penny pinching spree, I will give it a rest on the blog after this entry. I just couldn't resist sharing my latest triumphant savings spree at Walgreens. I got two bottles of lotion, two rolls of dental floss, and one box of band aids for FREE and I saved $26 on diapers. Here's how I did it.

First I bought a bottle of Vaseline Sheer Infusion Lotion ($7) and a Walgreen's children's activity book ($1) that has lots of coupons in the front of it--Devin got a new book and I got additional savings good through March. With a $1.50 coupon for the lotion that I printed online, my total with tax was $7.22. I was also given a $7 register rewards for the lotion.

I then scanned two bags of GoodNite diapers (regularly $11.50 each, on sale for $9 each), used my $7 RR, and scanned two $2 manufacturers coupons I printed online. I also purchased a box of bandaids for $4 but used the in store flyer coupon for $2 and a $2 coupon from the children's activity book. Therefore, this item was free. My total with tax this time: $8.65 and I got a $4 RR for buying two packs of diapers.

Now that the cashier is getting into my savings scheme, I used my $4 RR to buy another bottle of lotion and I purchased a roll of dental floss (spend $2, get $2 RR). My total with tax: $5.82 and I'm given another $7 RR and a $2 RR.

Now I scan two bags of night time pull-ups (also on sale for $18/2) and another dental floss. After my $7 RR and two more manufacturer's coupons worth $4, my total is $10.85. I'm given another $4 RR and $2 RR that I can use on future purchases.

I could have saved even more if I had bought four activity books, but I don't need four of the same. I was also in such a flurry that I forgot to use one of the activity book's coupons, and I could have used one of my $2 RR on the other pack of diapers. However, as I've said before, I'm still getting the hang of this.

So in summary, I spent $32.54 for goods that regularly would have cost $82.40. And I have $8 RR to spend next time. It feels good to be a saver.

1 comment: