Friday, May 27, 2011

Dilemmas of a Coupon / Green Addict


In preparation of buying and dividing our first local, grass-fed cow amongst several families, I needed to buy a new scale. Nothing fancy, just reliable. When I purchase anything, I consider two costs: the initial one and the long term costs. I would rather pay more upfront if it's going to last longer. But then my couponing excitement sets in, and I'm eager for the best deal. Not even buying a scale is easy for me.

My first thought was buy the least expensive one at Bed Bath and Beyond and use the 20% off coupon. But EVERY scale in that $20-$30 price range got slammed in the reviews for not being reliable or not being able to put a new battery in it.

Not wanting to buy something that will be junk in three years, I turned to Kohl's because I had $30 in Kohl's cash to use. Their cheapest one was $40, but the company boasted "150 years of reliability." I decided on the LED version, hoping it would last the longest.

Of course, I was having internal turmoil because it was my husband's birthday and I could have gotten him two polos for free instead. Scale, shirts, scale, shirts. Ugh!!! I opted for the scale and went on my merry way.

But then two days later, I get a 15% off coupon I could have used AND that scale went on sale for $36--meaning I could have gotten it for less than a buck. Grrrrrr! I don't know Kohl's policy of matching a price within a given time period of your purchase, but I'm certainly not making a trip just for that. If you know, please leave a comment.

Going green and saving green is not always easy.

2 comments:

  1. Totally rtn it or ask for a price adjustment. Kohl's has one of the best policies for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Coupons2grab offers u lots of discount coupons especially during the shopping seasons like valentines day, Halloween, Black Friday, Cyber Monday and Christmas seasons.Wait for this year shopping seasons so that u can get offers up to 90%.By using them you can save money

    Thanks&Regards,
    staples coupons

    ReplyDelete