Monday, November 9, 2009

Cereal for a Steal



Money Saving Margaret is back, and over the past week, the best grocery deals I've been able to find are on cereal. My friend Tina had told me that she never pays more than $1.50 a box...ever! Since most cereals usually cost $3 - 4, I was stunned at how she did that. Well, I'm proud to say that I have now paid as little as $.47 for a box of cereal and here's how I did it.

Thanks to a tip from Coupon Katie, I went to Target last week for Kellogg's cereals. They had a deal: buy 3, get 1 free. They also had Target coupons for $1 off each box; I printed 4. Lastly, I found 4 manufacturer's coupons for various cereals for $1 off each box. Raison Bran was the cheapest, but I only had one coupon that matched with RB. Therefore, I got 1 Frosted Mini Wheats, 2 Special K, and 1 Raison Bran for a total of $1.87 or $.47 a box. If I'd had more coupons for Raison Bran, I could have gotten them all for free.

Though Kroger does not have many deals this week, they are having a similar sale on General Mills cereals: buy 4, save $4. Armed with 4 $.75 coupons and one Cellfire discount of $.55, I purchased 2 Multigrain Cheerios and 2 boxes of Kix for $4.23, or $1.06 a box. My husband thinks I've gotten some of my mother's "drawbridge mentality" (a drawbridge between me and the store could go up at any moment and we'd be ready to survive), but that's ok. I won't have to buy cereal for months. One thing's for sure: I'm never paying full-price again.

No comments:

Post a Comment