Saturday, April 9, 2011

How CVS overages paid for my Easter candy



This afternoon after my final triathlon training day (big day is next Sunday!), I stopped by CVS to get deals for both weeks. Yes, I was sweaty and gross but by myself. This will be probably be my last chance to buy Easter goodies without the kids.

Tip: If you shop on Saturday afternoons / evenings, make sure you have your list of deals from the previous week because all the tags will likely be down and replaced with next week's tags. It takes a little longer to get the right products but it's worth it to me turning two trips into one.

Here's how CVS overages / money makers paid for 3 Dove solid chocolate bunnies and 2 bags of Dove solid chocolate eggs. I've said it before: I'm a chocolate snob but it's important to me that the first ingredient in my chocolates be chocolate and not sugar (check the ingredients on other brands), and Dove has no artificial colors. Yeah!

First I scanned my CVS card at the kiosk and was surprised by a random $1 ECB. Free money! Then I bought:


  • 2 Airwick Freshmatic kits and 2 Airwick Fresmatic refills ($5 each; spend $20, earn $10 ECB; used 2 $4 MC on kits, 1 B1G1 MC on refills, and 1 $1.50 off refills=$4.50 MM). See other deal scenarios here.
  • 1 Complete eye solution ($9, get $9ECB=FREE; I couldn't find the coupon that reportedly came in last Sunday's paper which would have made it a MM.)
  • 2 Oral B Advantage toothbrushes ($3 each, get $1ECB for each, used 1 B1G1 and 1 $2 MC=$1 MM)
  • 1 Crest Pro-Health toothpaste and 1 Glide Pro-Health floss ($3.50 each, get $2.50 ECB for each, used $1 MC for toothpaste and $1 MC for floss in home P&G home mailer=2 FREE.) However, the ECBs did not print and so the clerk had to punch it in manually. The machines won't let them do cents and so she rounded each up to $3, making this a $1 MM. Had I known this, I would have asked her to print one $3 and one $2 so that it would be fair. Tip for future trips.
  • Since my total before coupons was over $40, I used the $5 off $40 coupon I printed from Facebook a few days ago. It expires 4/10.
  • I also used $15 ECBs from previous trips

Subtotal: $.47

Total with tax: $4.07

Total savings: $57.74

ECBs earned: $27


My second transaction included:

  • 3 Dove chocolate bunnies & 2 bags of Dove chocolate eggs (normally $4.99 each, on sale for $3 each, used $2/2 Mars products in All You magazine, $1/2 Mars products from paper, and $1 off Dove bag chocolates from paper)
  • 1 Russell Stover chocolate bunny ($.74, get $.74 ECB=FREE; deal Sunday through Tuesday only; limit 1)
  • 1 CVS Super Bubbles ($1.49--was supposed to be $1.99, get $1.99 ECB; deal Sunday through Tuesday only). Again, the ECBs for the Russell Stover and bubbles did not print; so she gave me $1 and $2 ECBs. Had I been thinking clearly, I would have taken the $2 and not had her print the $1. Lesson learned.
  • I used the $10 and $3 ECBs from previous transaction too.

Subtotal: $.23

Total with tax: $1.23

Total saved: $27.58

ECBs earned: $3


To recap, I'll be donating everything from the first transaction to my Couponing for Charity mission. CVS overages & free coupons totaled $12.50 and my chocolates after coupons were $11. And that is how CVS paid for my Easter candy! Thank you, CVS!

Note: I have no affiliation with CVS, and this was not a paid post. I'm just a happy customer.

No comments:

Post a Comment