Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veteran's Day Parade: our experience

I'll admit I wasn't downtown today for the veteran's parade. I actually had a shoot in Market Square that I was trying to get done before it began. I even saw Cindi there with her kiddos; good to put a face with the name.

As I was heading back to the car with my youngest (not quite two), I stopped, turned around, and decided to check out the parade. She's not really at an age where she can appreciate this, but she took it all in with wide eyes and a furrowed brow. At times she was startled by the loud sirens wailing, motorcycles rumbling, guns saluting, drums pounding, and helicopter whirring but she didn't let out a peep. One of the nice qualities of kids at this age is that they often do just watch and absorb their world. My older two are so busy running around that they miss a lot. She's a virtual sponge.

I'll admit I did get choked up a few times, between the giant flag, the national anthem and taps. Probably what touched me most was seeing all those in uniform (active and retired) marching past. We talk about "the troops" but often the individuals serving our country are lost. Kudos to all the men and women who have made sacrifices for our freedom. And if we need a parade to remind us that they're all sons, daughters, fathers, and mothers, then that's money well spent.

Did you go today? What did you think? Sorry there are no pictures; still looking for our camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment