Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Cat's in the Cradle and the Silver Spoon

You know the song, "Cat's in the Cradle" song, right? It's about the fact if we don't live for today and savor each moment with our kids, they'll grow up to be just busy replicas of ourselves.

I thought when I became a SAHM that I wouldn't have this problem because I'd always be with them. What would I possibly be missing, right? Those chuckling know that sometimes it's hardest for those of us always with them to truly be WITH them...to be present and mindful of making meaningful memories.

As I try to juggle the housework, shopping, cooking, cleaning, and chauffering, I've been guilty of not being PRESENT enough lately. Twice while shopping the last week, I've heard this song, "Cat's in the Cradle." The second time I heard it, it really made me stop and think.

So tonight after the dishes were done, I started to put the laundry away. Instead, I went outside with the kids. I took all three down to the empty lot and played a game of baseball. Even the two year old tried to hit the ball. The boys had some great hits and loved running "the bases" as I "floundered after them." They must think I'm very clumsy because they never got out! Imagine that. But their gleaming faces were worth every second.

When we came in my DS asked, "Mom, can we play baseball again tomorrow? That was SO much fun!" "You bet!" I promised. The irony in this is that we haven't played a casual game of baseball in months because we've been so busy with league games. Now that the season is over, it's like we can finally have fun.

Anyone else have similar stories?

No comments:

Post a Comment