Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Saving 35% at Earthfare


If you've shied away from Earthfare because of the prices, I have proof that you can save the same percentage here as at Kroger if you're willing to shop the sales and use coupons. Thanks to Hannah at Frugally Farming Family, I learned about some sales and where to find specific coupons through March 30. For the weekly deals and best freebies, sign up for Earthfare emails. They usually come out on Wednesday.

Today was the last day for the free pizza dough and fresh mozzarella with purchase of red sauce. Using that coupon alone saved me $7.16 ($4.19 for cheese, $2.49 for dough, and $.48 on sauce on sale). I can't wait to see what they come up with next.

I saved $5 on 2 packs of Organic Valley sharp cheddar cheese because they were on sale ($1.50 off each) and I used a $2/2 coupon found on the back of the children's activity book Three River Market was giving away at the coupon fair. Organic Valley usually has lots of good coupons and is a good foot in the door if you're looking to try organic foods. You can also find them at Kroger occasionally on sale.

I was pleased to see Eden beans were on sale. I've read they're the only canning company that doesn't use BPA in their lining. They're a winner in my book.

Frontier Fair Trade Organic Vanilla Extract was $2 off a bottle. Since I still have two holiday Earthfare coupon books, I saved an additional $2 (bring my total to $6 savings on 2 bottles).

Earthfare pasta was 3/$5, saving me $.64 on two pounds of pasta. I'm noticing a lot of pasta companies are switching to 12 or 14.5 oz packages; so watch your comparisons.

The Rice Selects risotta was $1 off and I had a $2/1 coupon found here, bringing more than 2 pounds of organic rice to only $3.

I got 2 cans of Muir Glen organic soup for $1 each through a sale and 2 $1/1 coupons found here.

I paid full-price for organic apples and potatoes but since I bought the 3 and 5 pound bags, the potatoes were just over $1/pound and the apples were $1.76 a pound. After reading this article, I've decided these are the two produce items I'm willing to insist are organic. We've also switched to only wild salmon as well.

Total spent: $49.85, total saved: $26.28, giving me a percentage of 35% savings (my typical savings percentage at Kroger). I admit I'm paying more than what non-organic counterparts at Kroger would cost, but you can save and splurge at the same time when organic matters to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment