Monday, September 27, 2010

Couponing for Charity: Donations #2


It took a few weeks to make it happen, but I've finally delivered the second batch of Couponing for Charity goods. Every three months, the Northwest Knoxville chapter of MOMS Club gathers the freebies and good deals we've been able to get through couponing and chooses a different local organization to benefit.

Our first recipient in June was the Volunteer Ministry Center. Our second recipient was Iva's Place, a crisis center for women, in Lenoir City. It's a shelter and resource center for victims of domestic violence: women and children. They give a scary statistic on their website: one in four women will experience domestic violence in her lifetime! Given the nature of their clients, they are a bit secretive about their location, but let's just say it's off the beaten path.

I had actually planned to deliver this batch of goods to the Ronald McDonald house. When I called to tell them what I had, they politely said they didn't need any of those items at this time. You don't need toothpaste...soap...printer paper...pens? Really?! This response I had not considered. So I moved to the next organization we had voted on and decided to revisit the RMH in December.

When I called Iva's Place, they said they could use all the items on my list and I planned a trip. Since Devin (4) and Brooke (19 months) have been with me for nearly every run to Walgreen's and CVS, I wanted them to experience the fun of giving as well. I told Devin, "We're going to play Santa Claus today and give away a lot of those great deals Mommy is always getting at the store. Will you be Santa Claus for me?" "I be Ho Ho? Woo hoo!" he exclaimed (his nickname for SC).

I decided to head out early before the kids were tired, but it was raining hard the whole way there. The drone of pelting rain and the hum of the car were too much to resist and both kids fell asleep by the time I arrived at Iva's Place. I decided not to wake either and just drop the boxes inside. The manager seemed pleased, and I was back on the road. When Devin awoke, he asked when he got to be Ho Ho and seemed a little disappointed but got over it with the news we were going to playgroup. Maybe I'll let him wear a Santa hat when we deliver goods near Christmas.

The items we donated came from several women; so I don't know the exact values vs money spent, but most of it was free. The value of my products was $137.29 and I actually made $17.28 (which pays for the tax). If we had an excess of one item, I saved it for next time, and I pulled all the male hygiene products for another organization. Here's what we gave Iva's Place:
  • 1 curling iron
  • 1 500 count printer paper
  • 10 pens
  • 200 napkins
  • 10 feminine care
  • 5 hair & body wash
  • 2 lotions
  • 3 shampoo / conditioner
  • 1 hand soap
  • 12 toothpastes
  • 2 toothbrushes
  • 2 travel first aid kits
  • 2 packs of gum
  • 1 Breath Right strips
  • 1 lipstick
  • 3 lip balms
  • 3 razors
  • 3 shaving gels
  • 4 deodorants
  • 1 blister repair
  • 3 multi-purpose eye solution
  • 2 heat wraps
  • 1 box nutri-grain bars
  • 1 fiber supplement
Once again, I felt a little tug as I set the box down and walked away. This wasn't just stuff; these were "my deals." This was the time and effort I had poured into searching the weekly sale flyers, printing coupons, and clipping, clipping, clipping. If I didn't enjoy the hunt, I wouldn't do it, but it is hard work at times--especially with kids in tow. Regardless, this is how I'm able to give far more than I normally would, and it feels good to have a fruitful mission.

2 comments:

  1. It's so nice to know that there are people like you still left in this world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that made my day! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete