Thursday, September 2, 2010

Discovery Channel Hostage Taker: Not My Green Team


This may seem like an odd subject for me to post on, but bare with me. Yesterday, when three hostages were taken at gunpoint by a man demanding they do more for the environment, I was moved on two levels.

One, I used to work for Discovery Channel, and even though it was several years ago, many of my old colleagues are still there. I couldn't help but think for a moment, "Do I know the hostages?" and "Had my life taken a different turn, that could have been me in there." Secondly, I would consider myself an environmentalist of sorts, trying to spread the reasons why it's good to make green choices. But let me be clear: He and I are/were NOT on the same "green team."

During the several hours of his rants with negotiators, James Lee was clearly mentally unbalanced but insisted "he had been doing too little to protect the environment." I do sincerely hope that most people do not lump all those passionate for the planet in with the nutjobs who can't see the forest for the trees.

As an avid viewer and former employee of DCI, I find it incredible that anyone could blame them for not doing enough to spotlight the needs of our planet. Discovery Channel Networks has been filled with passionate conservationists from the beginning and has spent extensive time, money, and resources in helping educate and enlighten others to protect our natural resources. And they've created my most recent favorite channel: Planet Green. It's devoted to sustainable living programming. If you have cable, I encourage you to check it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment