Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Halloween Candy Deals


It's mid-October and I'm trying not to panic yet that I have NO Halloween candy. I'm being patient because I refuse to pay full-price. I keep waiting for the best deals in town to speak to me! Since it's pretty quiet out there, I decided to do some digging.

I first start with what coupons I have from the paper or online. Expiring this week I have:
  • $1/2 Hershey bars and
  • $1/3 Hershey, Reese's or Kit Kats.
  • I also have $1/2 Hershey kisses and
  • $1.50/3 Mars candies including M&Ms, Twix, Milky Way, Three Muskateers, and Snickers from 10/10's paper.
  • Thanks to Coupon Katie for pointing out a number of printables on Coupons.com right now, including Nestle, Wonka, Skittles, Starburst, and Lifesavers. They're higher value but for larger bags.
Personally, I don't buy candy that I'm not willing to eat. I know they say not to buy what you like for health reasons, but that's downright wasteful to me. I detest most hard candy and always go for the chocolate. Snickers, Twix, and M&Ms are big winners in our house; so my hunt is for the best deal to pair with this coupon.

This week through 10/16 you can get bags of that size for $2.50 each at Kroger and CVS. Buy 3 bags, and it's $2 a bag with that coupon. Tip: While you're at CVS this week, make sure you print coupons at the kiosk before shopping. I got a free bag of Brachs candycorn with a $.99ECB (the small bags are on sale for $.99). I also got a bag of Hershey's miniatures for $2.50, used $1/1 coupon, making it $1.50. Not bad, but would I hand out either of these to trick or treaters? Doubtful.

Then it hit me: check Iheartwags and IheartCVS to see what deals are coming up! These sites give you previews of the best deals weeks in advance. Love it! Next week at Walgreen's, the price for those bags will still be $2.50 each, but if you wait until 10/24, they will be that price with a $.50RR, making 3 bags $1.83 each.

UPDATE 10/17:
The best deal I see starting today is at CVS when the kiosks will be printing an ECB that will save you an additional $1 on 2 bags. It gets even better: there's a $1/2 coupon in today's paper. Since they're priced at $2.50 each, you can use both the CVS coupon and the manufacturer coupon, making each bag $1.50 each for two bags. According to next week's preview, the price will drop to $2 a bag, but there's no telling if they'll still be print the $1/2 CVS coupons. So you save either week.

Even if the prices are better at Target or Kroger, I'll still buy my candy at CVS because I think they have the best rewards program. In addition to those savings, I can use ECBs from other purchases to pay for my candy entirely. That's what I'm talking about!

But wait! What's "green" about this candy? Absolutely nothing. So I'll also be on the look-out for deals on fair trade chocolate. I didn't see any bagged candy deals on Hannah's match-ups for Earthfare this month. Maybe World Market?

I did order my reverse trick-or-treating kit that my kids will be handing out to the neighbors, and it just arrived! I suppose it would be pretty hypocritical of me if I didn't have some fair trade chocolate to distribute on my doorstep as well. Any suggestions, greeniacs?

If I don't find fair trade chocolate, I'll distribute mini playdoughs that I got for free with Kohl's cash. Love that!

No comments:

Post a Comment