Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Back-up Plan--Review


First of all, I want to thank Knoxmoms for coordinating an event where I could get a Moms Night Out for FREE. Though Jennifer Lopez's new movie, The Back-up Plan, was not on my must-see list, who can argue with free? 35 attendees were also treated to a drink, popcorn, and a BPA-free sippy cup. I am grateful to have been among them.

However, honestly, I wasn't too impressed with the movie. It had its moments of laughter but was a pretty standard Hollywood cookie-cutter flick. They poked fun at the typical parts of pregnancy, childbirth, and parenting with few original ideas to get a laugh. They explored the scary parts of becoming parents including the financial commitment. And they mocked natural childbirth and breast feeding. Having had three natural births, I had to roll my eyes at their interpretation of it. Drums, frantic screaming, women swaying in the background--where do they get this stuff?

One of the Knoxmoms talking about it afterwards put her finger on it: "The creators of this movie must not like being parents; so much was negative; how sad for their kids." In the movie, there's a father of three who describes parenthood as "aweful, aweful, aweful, aweful...and then an amazing, magical moment. Then back to aweful, aweful."

I'll admit I like hearing other parents struggle with parenthood because it is hard, but I would argue "aweful" isn't an accurate description. I'd describe it more like a see-saw. I've found raising kids is a constant balance of changing poopy diapers / soothing away a boo boo with kisses; reprimanding defiant behavior / snuggling up with a favorite bed-time story; refereeing over a coveted toy / instilling values when they're not looking. Up and down, up and down, but everyone should be having fun--ok, most of the time.

So Hollywood, if you can make a movie like that, then I'll give you a standing ovation. As for this film, if you really want to see it, wait for the free codes at Red Box and rent it then.

What did you think of the movie?

No comments:

Post a Comment