Confession time: I brought home take-out in a styrofoam box Friday night, and it has been haunting me since. After reading Gabe's great post about how to reduce waste when you go out to dinner, I was determined that I would say good-bye to styrofoam take-home boxes forever, but here's what happened.
- Styrofoam was invented in 1952 and is created from petroleum and natural gas by-products. It's unclear how long it takes to biodegrade, but once it does, harmful chemicals can eventually end up in groundwater. Source here.
- Burning landfills containing Styrofoam release 57 dangerous chemical byproducts into the air. Source here.