Friday, April 30, 2010

Perimeter Shopping


This week I had a plan to spend less on groceries: only shop the perimeter of the store for the real essentials. Though I had never broken out a typical receipt to see what percentage usually goes to the perimeter, I was guessing I'd come in around $50. Wrong!

I'm shocked and a bit humbled to admit I spent a whopping $83.11 and saved only 28% (mostly sales with only 12 coupons). This included fruits, vegetables, fresh dinner bread and sandwich bread, lunch meat, hotdogs, milk, eggs, yogurt, butter, pudding, chips and juice. I did pick up a few deals that worked out to free or a buck after catalinas: deodorant, pasta, and Scrubbing Bubbles, but about $5 of those savings won't be seen until future trips or rebates are returned.

As I watched the numbers climb and climb, I felt smaller and smaller. I really didn't think I had splurged. This is what my family consumes on a weekly basis. I admit I buy GOOD food: hearty whole wheat bread, eggs from cage-free hens, organic butter, and premium hotdogs with no preservatives. These are choices that are important to me and I'm willing to pay extra for that. However, it's so hard to do that and stay on course with a budget. It's a fine line I walk, but ultimately I will always go with what's healthier for my family.

My mother likes to say, "No matter what, you will not starve." Our family has seen its ups and downs financially, but I always knew there would be good food on the table. I'm determined to carry that same set of values for my family. Stay tuned for how I did overall on April's budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment